Saturday, November 29, 2014

Squidhead Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
So, the Squidhead is an instrumental metal project coming from Belgium. It has started as a one Man band (me, as you've most probably noticed) and has release a debut EP  "prohibition" this year.
The Music is a mix of modern death metal, with 8 string guitar riffing, melodic licks and a bunch of eletronics.

2.Recently you have released an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
About the EP, it´s a 5 tracks record with some brutal songs, some more atmospheric and a bit of progressive elements. There is also some grooving stuff there and there.

3.The project was formed in 2009 and you waited until 2014 to put out a release, can you tell us a little bit more about the five year wait?
A lot of things! The project, at his early stage, was supposed to be a side project with guests playing the different parts. Unfortunately, the people were not always available and I was still involved in local bands so, the process tooks much longer than expected.
At the time, I also had no experience in home studio recording so it tooks me a couple of years to buy decent equipment and gain enough skills in music production to be able to make a record that worth it.

4.On the ep all of the musical was instrumental, are you planning on using vocals in the future or do you prefer the instrumental approach?
I would definitely love to have vocals on the next record. I have made this first record instrumental simply because I'm not good enough at singing. I focused on writing Music that was interesting enough (to my opinion of course) without vocals. But the future of the Squid will have some vocals if I can find the good person to do it.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Squidhead'?
I'm a big fan of roleplaying games and fantastic universes and I love Lovecraft (the writer of the call of Cthulhu). I wanted an image close to a humanoid with octopus like head inspired by those universes.
I was also looking for some sort of Alter-ego image that could be useful to represent myself as a musician.

6.Currently you record everything solo but have worked with quest musicians before in the past, are you interested in forming a full band or do you prefer to remain solo?
If I'm able to find the right people to fit in a Line-up, I would love to! I'm currently looking for those guys and I hope it will work for the next album. I will only remain solo if there is no other way of making this music.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
Not yet, as the project as been revealed only one year ago, it´s still new. But we will see where the future leads. Who know? Maybe someone will be interested in the future.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of death metal?
The first feed-back is very good but, I have to be honest, only a few people outside of Europe did show enthusiam about the Squid so far. Anyway, death metal fans in Europe seems to like it.

9.Are you also involved with any other musical projects?
Nothing serious so far, as I've decided to make the Squid my main focus now. I don't want to wait for 5 years to make a new record. I'm open to other proposition but not looking for it right now.

10.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I'm already working hard on composing the first full length album and hope to have it ready during 2015. The new music will be more "live band music", made for the stage. There will be more industrial elements also in the sound and more room for singing in general.
And, as I said, there will be live shows!

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I'm a big fan of Devin Townsend, Fear Factory, Meshuggah, Steve Vai, Nine inch nails, Morbid Angel, etc.. Those guys have a big influence on my way of thinking the music.
Nowadays, I listen to Slipknot, Sólstafir, Shining (Norway), Decapitated, Dagoba, Stephan Forte, Krimh, the ocean, Resistance, etc.. A lot of stuff!

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
I've started Crossfit 6 months ago and I'm a total addict! I also do some leather crafting (I actually made the Squidhead mask you see on my promo pics). I work in the field of Microbiology and love roleplaying games. I'm a busy guy!

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I would like to thank you guys for this nice interview. It´s not easy for a little guy alone in Belgium to be noticed and what you do means a lot, really.

Greetings from Belgium!

Pish for Squidhead

No comments:

Post a Comment