Interview was answered by the singer Martin Funderud
1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Planning stuff for the USA tour and waiting for the album to get released. Also working on printing merch for the tour and
We are very exited to go to the USA and see what kind of response we will get there.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer album and how it differs from previous releases?
I think we have progressed and matured alot when it comes to the song writing on this album, still has the mix of fast and slamming riffs
but we have also tried to add some more traditional death metal riffing. Vocals are alot different form the previous full lenghts as well.
I feel i now have managed to find the style i wanna proceed on doing, vocal wise that is.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer release?
Pretty much the same as before. Dealing with topics such as:
Mostly what you can expect from the bands in this genre. I work alot with thw writing of my lyrics, and even re-write them multiple times to
get it as good as possible.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Not really too much thought put behind the name. But i seem to remember, we just had a brain storm over names and cranium came up. But we wanted to put our own touch to it
so thats why we kinda re-wrote it a bit and ended up with KRAANIUM. Just wanted a simple and easy to remember name, really!
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
I would say Death feast open air in Germany 2012 & Mountains of death in Switzerland 2009. And also did a show in Moscow at Coyote brutal fest last
year that was pretty awesome! Well on stage we just share our brutality thats pretty much it, nothing fancy really! Just let the music do the talking.
6. What are the touring plans for the new release?
So far we only have one tour planned, the Comatour 2012 Usa tour! 3 weeks and 16 shows. with Atrocious abnormality and Coathanger abortion, cant wait!
Check www.comatosemusic.com for more details.
Might try and do a release party here in Oslo in May as well, if we get the cds in time.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of brutal death metal?
Its been pretty damn overwhelming i must say! Im really honored of all the nice feedback and awesome support people are giving us around the globe!
Kinda hard for me to realise this, since i still feel we are just a small band outta Norway, haha!
8. Are there any other side projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Yeah we all have other side projects in fact!
Me and my brother (Mats) are in Dragging entrails.A european/american slam project with Kraanium/Devour the unborn & Expurgate members.
Mitch is in Engorgement, which also are on Comatose music.
Vidar is in a black metal band called Koldbrann.
And Ian is joining a band shortly, but i cant remember their name at this point.
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Well i think we will try and keep the direction we are in on this latest release, dont really have plans to progress too much. Wanna stay as true as we
can to the slamming death metal style!
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Abominable putridity, devourment, condemned, cephalotripsy, dying fetus, cannibal corpse. But we try our best to do our own thing tho!
Listening alot to underground brutal acts like SICK, Secreted entity, Pighead, 7h target, Engorgement, Begging for incest. But also been blasting the new Cannibal corpse album alot and
i really dig the latest Condemned album as well.
11. How would you describe the death metal scene in your home country of Norway?
Its not too big! We have some bands tho, but Kraanium is the only band playing the slamming death metal style!
Bands worth checking out: The sickening, Grotesque hysterectomy, Blood red throne, Dawn of retaliation.
12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Other than music our interests are airsoft, tattooes, gaming, graffiti,drinking, women...the usual, hehe!
13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for supporting Kraanium by doing this interview!