Monday, January 2, 2017

Conflict Theory Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Conflict Theory is a one-man death metal band with music written, recorded and produced by me, Kevin Welch. I just released my debut album Monologue in November, and am currently in the writing process for another EP to be released in 2017.

2.In November you had released an album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
Monologue is a death metal album. I'm generally not a big fan of labeling sub genres. I like when death metal has elements of slam, technicality, melody, and even hardcore or punk, but at the end of the day I think it doesn't matter the name of the genre, just whether the music is good or not, so I just tried to write the best death metal I could.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with your music?
A lot of my themes revolve around politics, drug abuse and technology abuse, as well as introspective themes questioning why humans are the way they are.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Conflict Theory'?
I was sitting in a sociology class in college one day and we were learning about conflict theory. Basically a conflict theorist would argue that society is made up of parts that compete with each other, or were created with the intention of keeping society "in check" by the ones in power. A lot of my lyrical writing revolves around the importance of this in our every day lives, which is why I decided to name the band Conflict Theory.

5.On the album you recorded everything by yourself, do you feel you where able to accomplish a lot more by working solo?
I think I was able to make an album that was very truly my music, so the songs were able to come out just how I wanted them, but I was definitely limited in my skills as an engineer. I will probably record more by myself, but I am looking forward to working with a professional sound engineer in the future to really bring it to the next level.

6.According to the fb page you are looking for other musicians to evolve into a live band, have you had any luck finding the right people?
Yes and no, I have found a guitar player who I've known for a long time that fits my vision for where I want the band to go. I am still in search of a drummer and bassist, but I have a few people in mind.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
I haven't received any interest from labels so far, but I'd definitely be interested in working with the label if I were to find the right fit.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of death metal?
I haven't gotten a ton of feedback but the people that have listened to it seem to really like it. I guess most of my fan-base is in America, but there are a few listeners (according to BandCamp) in some other countries around the world, which is really exciting.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
I'd like to have a full band that's available to play shows and do small tours, as well as just keep getting better and better at writing the style of death metal I like to listen to.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I listen to tons of music, so that's a tough question haha. Some of my primary influences for Conflict Theory are Dying Fetus, Death, Dyscarnate, Suffocation, and Gorguts. I also really like hardcore bands like Incendiary, Terror, Backtrack, and Have Heart. I think my metal influence comes out a lot in my music writing while the hardcore influence comes out a lot through my lyric writing. Some bands I've been listening to a lot recently are Necroptic Engorgement, Abnormality, Beheaded and Despised Icon.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Well I just finished up a degree in Culinary Arts, so I guess you could say I like cooking and eating haha. I also really like craft beer and have fun trying out new kinds. I like traveling to new places, meeting new people, being near the ocean, and drinking tons of coffee. I watch a lot of Netflix and just got done binging Black Mirror so there will probably be some lyrics related to that in the future.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks to anyone who read this interview! Thanks to Variety of Death Zine for giving me this opportunity. Be sure to like Conflict Theory on Facebook, Instagram (@conflicttheoryofficial) and subscribe on YouTube for updates going forward. If you want to get into contact with me, Facebook is great but you can email me at ktwelch1015@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment