Saturday, December 30, 2017

Scaphism Interview

Answered by Evan Woolley (Guitar)


1.Can you hive us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?

We're currently busy getting ready for the shows we've booked to support the release and rehearsing more new material! Even though the album isn't released yet, I'm already thinking about the next one. Its already mostly written.

2.You have a new album coming out in early 2018, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

I think we've finally captured our true live sound with this one. Its a hard thing to try and replicate in the studio but I think we nailed it this time around. It's also a much darker album than Festering Human Remains. We ditched the samples and most of the silliness. Lyrically its less "gore" and more macabre. I think thats largely because Tony wrote all the lyrics on this record so there aren't any simplistic "offensive just for the sake of being offensive" contributions from yours truly.

3.This is your first album since 2012, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time span?

We've gone through some pretty serious changes since 2012, both as a band and in our personal lives. This album took WAY longer to get completed than we ever anticipated, but there were a number of things that slowed the process down. Through all of it however, we never stopped practicing or playing live. We've just been keeping it low key until we had some new material to present. Now the process is complete and we're excited for everyone to hear the fruits of our labor.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?

Well as I said before, Tony wrote all the lyrics on this record, and while each song is different, I think they all fit into a common theme (which inspired the album title) of "Unutterable Horrors". Each song tells it's own grisly tale of terror with a clear beginning, middle and end to the story, and they usually end badly for those involved.

5.I know that the band name came from a  Persian  method  of  execution, how does this name fit in with the musical style you play?

Haha, the band name often becomes a topic of discussion when people ask me the name of my band, I tell them, they look confused, and then I go into a lengthy and gory description of the whole process. I don't know how it fits in. I just picked it because at the time it was the grossest thing I had ever heard of, and it wasn't already taken. It doesn't go much further than that. I just wanted to be as offensive as possible in those days.

6.Originally the band was a solo project what was the decision behind hiring a full time line up?

I think it was inevitable. I had done the Butchered and Devoured demo and was working on a solo full-length with programmed drums but it just wasn't clicking. There was so much more I wanted to do, plus I was getting really bored not playing live so it just had to happen. It took a while to get it together though. I jammed with a ton of drummers before I met Alex and nobody seemed to be on the same page as me. Once we got together though, it seemed like we hit the nail on the fucking head so it wasn't long before Tom showed up to try out on bass and he knew a vocalist, Tony. The rest is history.

7.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

One of my all time favorite performances was at the 5 year anniversary for Metal Thursday, a long-running local metal night out in Worcester, MA. Some of it ended up on Youtube. The crowd was rowdy and it was just a great fucking time. Other standouts that come to mind are an illegal practice space show with Defeated Sanity that was just nuts, and Philthadelphia Infest 2. Our stage performance isn't anything fancy. There's no spectacle, no gimmicks. We just get up there and try and play the songs as best as we can and put on the best show possible for those who come out to see us.

8.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?

Yes! We've got a CD release show booked at Ralph's Diner in Worcester, MA for January 26th, and we have a few other regional shows in the works to promote the album. Beyond that we'll just have to wait and see what the future brings!

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of death metal?

Most of the feedback we've received over the years has been positive. We've been involved in trading since the first demo and its helped us connect with so many different metal fanatics across the globe. Its always cool when you find out that someone in Brazil, India or Jordan is jamming your shit and wants to write about it or reach out to you.

10.Are any of the band members currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?

Oh yes. Alex is always involved in the most projects. I think right now he's in three bands: Scaphism, Black Mass and Fuming Mouth; but he's done a shitload of projects over the years. Erik plays in two other bands that share members, Kontra and Perpetual Slaughter. Tony and myself are currently working on a black metal project that we hope to get off the ground soon.

11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Well judging by the new material I've been writing, I only see it getting faster and more complicated musically, but also darker and more abstract. I'm taking more chances as a songwriter. More odd time, more riffs from out in left field, but still catchy enough to bang your head to.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Old school death metal and thrash are the obvious influences for our music, but I pull influences from all over the place. Black metal, punk, grindcore, hardcore, even jazz, prog and fusion. All sorts of things leak into the riffs, they just get translated into a death metal context. These days for metal I'm listening to Throneum, Necros Christos, Horna & Deaden to name a few. For non-metal, I'm really into Goblin, Frank Zappa and Jean Luc Ponty.

13.What are some of your non musical interests?

My other passion beyond music is collecting, watching and obsessing over horror and exploitation movies of the 60s, 70s and 80s. A very niche interest I know, but the more I uncover the more into it I get. Sometimes horror inspires me to write death metal so I guess the interests tie in on some level. I guess I'm just obsessed with death and violence. Maybe I need some help...,

14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview and for supporting the band! Our new CD comes out January 12th on Horror Pain Gore Death Productions so make sure you grab a copy and support the underground! Thank you

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/unutterable-horrors
http://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/store/hpgd163.html

No comments:

Post a Comment