1. First some details about the band for those who have never before heard of us. We are five young musicians from Switzerland. The two girls and three guys are between 17 and 20 years old by now. We all know each other since childhood, we went to school together, the frontman Dave is my brother... So as you see we have a quite familiar relation to each other. At the age of ten me and my former friend had the spontaneous idea of creating a band with our school colleagues. This is how we texted handwritten letters to the children in our class and to some of the class below ours. Our luck was that my parents both are musicians and for that reason we already had all the equipment we needed provided. This is how the whole story began. In the starting years there were some personal and instrumental changes. With increasing age our sound changed as well of course. We all came more and more to the heavier sound and so in spring 2009 some of us decided to change the bandname to Crescent Moon and become a metalband. By that time we were between 13 and 16 years old. From that day on we had a fix lineup which we kept up to nowadays. Our sound changed constantly to the heavier side but later in this interview I will tell more about the sound of Crescent Moon.1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
2. Our musical style is to be set somewhere between death-, melodic- and symphonic metal. It has got a quite own touch though. I would say build your own opinion about this by going and hearing some of our songs ;).2. How would you describe your musicals sound?
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
3. The lyrics in our music treat all fantasy, social critics, personal concerns or science fiction themes. Frontman Dave writes most of them by himself. Often he writes in a metaphoric or ambivalent style so there is much space to put your own interpretation and identification into the lyrics.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
4. We came up with the idea for our bandname because we were searching for something that represents the cycle of life. We all are convinced that in every life there are better and worse times. Sometimes you reach the bottom of your life when everything appears to be bad and nothing goes the way you wished it to go. And in this fuckin moments you have to put your head down, hold your breath, close your eyes and stand it through the best you can. For sure one day there will be better times again. You get new hope and strengh to get up again, you gain energy and joy and out of this latter misery you are will learn for your life. After every hard part in your life you will be stronger and wiser than before. This is why hard times are not only hard times but also the teacher of life lessions. They make it possible that after them you can shine even brighter. This 'life philosophy' is easily comparable to the moon cycle. And as you know Crescent Moon is the phase in the moon cycle after new mon. So the moon is growing again. We chose that phase because it is actually exactly the point where you realize what went wrong, what you have to change and where you finally get new hope to stand up again. The desicion to not totally give up your life at a difficult point is what we concider very important. There is always something to fight for. Friends, family, hobbies, whatever has a great personal value. Compared to the moon cycle Crescent Moon is the point where you decide to fight on and not to give up so this is why we chose that bandname.
5. In the four years of Crescent Moon we have already played nearly 30 shows. The best was certainly the one at a local band contest where we reached the second position out of about 35 bands. Our fans estimate our life appeareances quite a lot and they describe it as very powerful and energyspreading. Maybe something extraordinary in metal scene is that Crescent Moon includes two girls which are headbanging the same as the guys. Maybe an special point about our music and life performance is that we not mainly want to bring a super-important concrete message surrounded by a musical environment but we all love music. The sound, the feeling, the playing together. We want to bring joy through our music and we want ourselfs to have fun on what we do. During our life performances the audience can see that quite clearly as we spread the energy of our songs. Of course the lyrics are important too, but most of the time we first write the music of our songs and just weeks later we start thinging 'oh fuck, we still need lyrics.....' .5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
6. In future we hope to be able to increase the amount of shows per year because we are more a live band than a rehearsal-room-band. As soon as we do not have any concert in the near future we do not have the same motivation in rehearsing as if when we are looking for a gig in the upcoming weeks. We have just lately started a new project. We are about to create plans how we could build a studio in our rehearsal room so that we could start recording some demos ourselfs. But this is a project apart from the life appeareances which now fills the capacities we before used for the recordings and promotion of the EP Captured.6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
7. There are some things going on about searching label and that stuff but nothing official at the moment.7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
8. Well, as I already mentioned many people estimate our stage presence and the gender balance in our band. They like our creative songwriting and the realisation of a sound which includes various influences. After the prerelease of the titletrack of the upcoming EP Captured we received an amount of positive reactions among some constructive critics.8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of melodic death metal?
9. Since four years this lineup is the same. Me for my part I have got different musical projects apart from Crescent Moon as my main-instrument is singing. For example singing in a choir, in an acoustic coverband, in a big band and so on. In addition I practise a lot on myself because I do not take piano lessions neighter singing lessions - I teach myself. This requires investing lots of time in practise. But I consider Crescent Moon as my main musical project.
9. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
10. I guess our music develops all the time. Many people might not know that the three songs and lyrics on the EP were written by us nearly three years ago I feel like on the EP songs there is still some 'childlike'/'innocent' ambience. Thats because of the age we had when the songs were written. We were 14 - 16 years old and I think you can hear this a little bit while listening to the songs and the lyrics. The songs we write today are already harder, less symphonic and have new influences (as our musical horizon wided up and spread individually over the years). We pay much more attention to the songwriting and of course we all have advanced on our instrumental + vocal skills. Our lyrics have changed in the same way as the music. They are more 'adult' you could say.10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
11. Every member of Crescent Moon has a slightly different taste of music. We listen to genres from Djent, Deathcore, Black Metal, Death Metal, Folk Metal, Symphonic Metal, Melodicdeathmetal to several non-metal artists and bands. Of course there is a red thread through all our songs but if you listen to them several times you recognize more and more that there are these different influences. We always try out anything that comes to our mind. We don't want to make every song sound 'the same' too much.11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
12. Everyone of us has individual hobbies: Fishing, doing party (we go out together very often), seing concerts and visiting festivals, skateboarding, mowing the grass for the father ;-) me for my part I don't have much time for other interests besides of music, work and studies. Often I have rehearsals in the evening (Crescent Moon three times a week and also for different other projects that I am part of), I do management stuff or I practice on my singing. But I think if you have a passion like music you don't really need too many other occupations: If it fills your heart and gives you a balance to the pressures and stress of everyday life that's already everything you need :)12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
13. Thank you for asking these interesting questions and sorry for the long time I needed to answer all of them. Finally for the ones who are interested in up to date information please visit our homepage www.crescentmoon.ch! Thanks again and cheers!13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?