Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I Killed Everyone Interview

1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
A1. Well the band has been around since 08' and has had some line up changes along the way but with those changes and all of the different members that the group has had it has helped us mature and progress with our songwriting capabilities. All five of us now that are in the group live pretty spread out from each other but we're all so dedicated to making it to meet up to practice and write and whatnot and I think that is what really matters cause I really enjoy when there are other members willing and almost sacrificing in a way to go that extra mile just to be together and make some killer music.


2. How would you describe your musical sound?
A2. If I had to describe our sound now I would say that it is a cross between technical deathcore and modern death metal. Only reason I throw those two genres out there is because we still share some of the old I Killed Everyone qualities while fussing it with death metal. Overtime while writing and recording the album some of us if not most of us would be listening to a lot of different metal groups but primarily we pulled influences from some old and new death metal bands that are still around today making music.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
A3. The lyrical content on this album is pretty heavily influenced by H.P. Lovecraft literature. When we would write the music and Tim would work on his lyrics he would send us messages through texts or facebook IM's showing us what he had written and and worked on basically telling us the overall story or idea behind what he was writing and a lot of it he said was influenced from stories from H.P. Lovecraft whom I think was a terrific writer and has such amazing weird twisted stories that making music out of it I thought was a cool concept. Of course not all of the songs are based on H.P. Lovecraft but a majority of them are influenced by his work. So pretty much the albums lyrical content, whether it was an influence coming from H.P. Lovecraft or not is, basically like reading one giant horror novel haha.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
A4. Back when Jack was in the band he would always say, and I still quote him on this, is that the meaning behind the band name is describing how one individual is contributing to the extinction of the human race by poor choices that they have made. A good minor example would be like second hand smoker. Someone who is smoking a cigarette isn't only giving themselves cancer but to others as well which in a way means that that person and that individual is killing everyone because of his smoking habit. It's probably the only best way I always describe what the name really means but hopefully from that example it kind of gives you a clue to the big picture of other things there that are harmful to people that are being cause by other people.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
A5. I think one of the best shows that the band has done would be when we opened up for Oceano last year at the Bottom Lounge in Chicago for Cinco De Mayo. Just the reaction from the crowd and the audience doing their thing, going nuts, and moshing is always a fun sight and that they demanded us to play one more song which led us to doing an encore is always the best thing to hear cause then you really know that you played a fantastic show and that people really want to hear more from the band. I mean when we go up there and play we don't just start playing out of the blue or say "Hi everybody!" we sort of put on an act. We always do these epic creepy haunting intros to get people pumped up and to make others feel unsettled and I think that it really contributes a lot to our live performance cause it's like seeing something from a horror show just lash out at you from the screen. 

6. Are there any touring or show plans for the future?
A6. With an album coming out I would hope so haha just kidding but in all seriousness there is talk about having a tour setup but I am not really at liberty to say much about it until things are confirmed.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of death metal and deathcore?
A7. That is a good question. I think it's a little hard to say since we haven't really traveled to many places before but for the most part through the internet and different social network sites we always get good comments from fans on our facebook page or at shows and we get nice remarks from other bands that we play with. We get a lot of kids from random foreign countries too always having something to say. I can't remember all of them off hand but there are a lot out there that like our music. Hopefully when we travel more we get to see the real reactions of these fans in person as oppose to just seeing the numbers on facebook cause the internet isn't always going to add up with what's out there in the real world. You sometimes just have to go out there and take a look at it for yourself.

8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
A8. Well by August or September I can't really remember, I made a rhyme, but we had just recruited Tim for vocals and Aj for guitar around that time and since it's almost been about a year that they had joined the group I would like to call it a full time line up. All of us in the group and including our producer, Don Byczynski, we put a lot of work into this album and now that it's all been written and recorded and everything we're all excited to share what we spent time working on and are just anxious to here feedback not just from people who will review our music but from the fans who go out and buy it as well.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
A9. Again that's a little hard to say but I would guess the future releases would primarily kind of stay the same where we keep that dark creepy value to it and the only difference would probably be that we just write more technical music because we love to challenge ourselves and I know there's always room for improvement not meaning that you're playing your worst but it's not your greatest either but the more you work on certain things with your playing you can progress and that's one I thing I liked about the material we wrote on this album was we wanted to challenge ourselves and I'm pretty sure and I hope I'm speaking for everyone that would try to challenge ourselves more and more.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
A10. Man where to start I mean all of us we listen to so many different groups but I know Tim is really into The Black Dahlia Murder so I know without asking and I guarantee you right now this very second he is listening to The Black Dahlia Murder haha. As far as everyone else it varies honestly I know some of my influences are Suffocation cause there new album when I was hearing the new tracks that they had out it was such a big influence for me cause they're like one of my favorite bands and I love everything that they put out. Others were like Decapitated and Aborted and I can say Dimmu Borgir as well. I know Bill likes some of those groups too and he is also a big Behemoth fan and is always rocking the new Whitechapel album so I would think he drew influence by some of those groups as well as others. Aj I know was always listening to Job For A Cowboy and some of the Australian stuff like Signal the Firing Squad and Thy Art is Murder and that's where he would get his influence so it really just varies to us I guess even as far as what we are listening to nowadays it varies we all like different groups and music which I think is cool cause that I think is what helps collaborate the sound in any band.

11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

A11. I think a lot of us share some common interests such as certain movies and games and things like that cause I know we all enjoy Call of Duty and Breaking Bad and the usual modern guy stuff like that but aside from those hobbies we all have our own personal hobbies as well like for instance I know Bill is really into trucks. Tim is really into different craft beers, not saying he's an alcoholic not everyone is an alcoholic for drinking craft beer haha, and enjoys different science fiction and horror literature. Aj I know enjoys working out and being an active kind of dude and sporting stuff which isn't a bad thing and he also enjoys motorcycles. Tom I know enjoys video games whether it's on PS3 or PC and I know he likes getting tattoo's. As far as me I enjoy horror flicks and classic arcades.

12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

A12. Is this going to be on the test? Just kidding but I guess I would like to cast off saying I hope everyone out there goes out and buys our album "Necrospire" it comes out July 9th. through Pavement Entertaiment and just keep the metal faith alive everyone. Thank you.

Jason Cordero, bassist from I Killed Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment