Answered by Perra Karlsson (Drums Ov Death)
1. Can you update us with what is going on with Nominon these days?
-Hell. We're preparing ourselves for the forthcoming US tour that will be start June 24th in Atlanta, GA and go through Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Illinois, Ohio and Massachusetts before ending up in New York City July 6th. The tour will go under the banner "Death Metal Darkness" and besides NOMINON it also features INFINITUM OBSCURE from Mexico and QUINTA ESSENTIA from Alabama, both bands are fucking awesome and we have known both of them for years. It's a wet dream come true for any Death Metal maniac over there, nuff said.
2. I read in a previous interview that you take your name out of The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abrabelin The Mage what was it that interested you about this grimoire?
-It was either Peter or Juha who came up with the name. The original idea and first logo actually said VARGAVINTER, but the band decided to change the name to NOMINON after a short period of time. We have always been interested in lots of occultism, magic and other extreme stuff in general. As NOMINON is a name of a demon, a servant to Satan, it certainly fits like a glove.
3. When I was listening to your music you had a song called Mantra Reverse and a song about Shiva, what interest do you have in the Eastern esoteric paths?
-Isn't it obvious that we as a band are into themes like War, Destruction and Death?! That's definitely something that Shiva can be associated with for example. As I previously stated, we are into lots of extremities, so anything that we find interesting enough could end up being written about in any of our lyrics really. Get hold of our albums and find out, just remember to have an clear sight and open mind about things. Who knows, you might end up being able to handle life a little bit more mature further on.
4. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
-NOMINON are a Death Metal band, so if you don't like Death Metal don't fucking come to any of our shows. We deliver aggression, intensity and uncontrollable energies of any sort. It's like a bloody rampage. I'd say that my personal favorite shows so far are Central Illinois Metalfest in Urbana, Illinois summer 2008. Trnava, Slovakia in 2004. The Fuck The Commerce fest in Germany 2005, and most certainly the show at Blue Box in Sofia, Bulgaria late 2008 stands out for sure. Now with this new album I'm not so certain that people will stand up after a NOMINON show. It's so much aggression and hatred being released during our set that some people might faint from fear. Then again, if you can't stand the heat in the line of fire, step aside.
5. I have read that you are going to tour the U.s this year, what are your thoughts of the upcoming tour and what do you expect from it?
-Unleash the new material in a live situation also to our North American brothers and sisters, that is what we are looking forward to do. We did a tour over there two years ago and the response were just fucking amazing. So we keep marching on pretty much, invading some new territories and collect some further skulls to our unholy pact.
6. How would you compare DeathGasm Records to the other labels that you have been on and how has the support been so far?
-Deathgasm Records has been treating NOMINON extremely well over the years, so we have no complaints really. We also share the same interest both for extreme music as well as the infernal hatred towards mankind, which is just as important if you ask me.
7. How has the reception been to your music so far from death metal fans worldwide?
-Awesome! Especially with this new album "Monumentomb". We have never done as much promotion in the past as we have done for this new one, and it never ends. It's like a massive persistent campaign of death, destruction and endless darkness. It was however expected. After all; Just listen to the new album and you'll understand why, unless of course you're out of intelligence quotient.
8. Are there any other current side projects going on , if so who are they and what kind of music do they play?
-I am always open for suggestion and ideas when it comes to playing drums. Even though I usually turn everything down. The next thing I'll personally be involved with is playing session live drums for DESTROYER 666 on their upcoming US and EU tours. That's gonna be sick. What a genuine band. If people doesn't know what kind of music DESTROYER 666 plays then they should just fuck off, period!
9. How would you describe the musical progress over the years and what direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?
-I'd say that we have become better musicians and song-writers. We certainly like to take things a step further with each and every new song, as well as album too for that matter. We also appreciate to evolve and challenge some of the sick ideas any of us might have, to reach a higher exhilaration as individuals, musicians and group. This meaning also describes why we doesn't release a new shit album each and every year as some of the bands out there constantly continues to do. We want the albums to be a statement and declaration of pure malevolent music performed with a genuine spirit that only a very few people can relate to and most probably even understand and relish.
10. Out off all the albums the band has recorded so far, which one are you ther most satisfied with?
11. What are some bands or music styles that have influenced your music and what are you listening to nowadays?
-We support bands and music that are for real. It doesn't necessarily mean that we only listen to Death Metal. To give you some examples of groups that we support; IRON MAIDEN, ROOT, MORBID ANGEL, TESTAMENT, AC/DC, NUNSLAUGHTER, SLAYER, YNGWIE J. MALMSTEEN'S RISING FORCE, EXODUS, BENEDICTION and handful more, that's enough really.
12. The band has been around since the early 90's, what is it that has motivated to stay around this long and put out the brutal death metal albums that you have released?
-The music is what makes us tick, honestly. We for one do find affection in writing and performing the sickest music known to man; Death Metal. If some freaks out there might be into what we're doing, then that's just a fine bonus. Seriously, it is the music that counts, not who's in the band or who's not in the band. NOMINON are the ancient entity that will most likely continue sickening people's intellect until the end of days.
13. Does Satansim or any other forms of Occultism play any role in the music?
-Yes, mainly in the lyrics.
14. What are some of your interests outside of music?
15. Any final words or thoughts?
-Appreciate your support. For further band info, news, tour updates, merchandise etc check out www.nominon.com - www.myspace.com/nominon
Hail the horned one. In filth we stand, united. /Perra & NOMINON June 7th 2010.