Saturday, February 13, 2016

Mythrias Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
1.    As of now we are kind of lying low and getting some writing in as well as rehearsing new songs. In fact, after I am done typing this I will shovel my walks and get to work on new material. Haha!

2.SO far the band has released 2 ep's, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?
2.    Well as far as direction went for the writing, the songs on both releases were actually all written around the same time. In fact the title track off of Absolving the Treacherous was the first song we wrote yet we felt it would be better on the second release. I would say if you were to compare the two, our first demo The Rise of Mythrias might be more of a kind of “showcase” if you will, of the style of songs we write. It goes from outright thrashy to more melodic yet still aggressive, to epic and more melody-driven. Absolving the Treacherous has more of a melodic, aggressive vibe I feel. The Rise of Mythrias is maybe more calculated and precise, while Absolving the Treacherous is more of throwing care to the wind and is just an all-out assault.

3.The lyrics cover Occultism and Mythology themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these  topics?
3.    I’ll be honest, I don’t have my singer with me here and he writes almost all of the lyrics, so I will try to do my best to answer that question. I personally love mythology and I am sure Taylor (our singer) will agree that what draws me to it is the grandiosity and timelessness. This can be applied to occultism as well, I feel that we may touch on that subject a bit, but for the most part the mythology theme is the more prominent in our lyrics. Mythology gives us insight to other cultures and can reveal that culture’s values and fears. You can learn much from it, but even without all of that, they are just really cool stories.

4.I know that the bands name comes from an ancient religion that was once practiced in India, Persia and Rome, how did you get interest in this subject?
4.    Again, this was our singer’s doing. Haha! The religion you’re speaking of is the Mithraic Mysteries as it’s come to be known.  From what Taylor has told me, it was a religion that anthropologists have not found much about. The one thing that is constant in their findings is that the followers worshipped the god Mythras. Taylor basically used the ‘mysteries’ as a sort of inspiration and thought it could be adapted into a story. A few of our songs have a reoccurring theme based on this. Taylor came up with the name “Mythrias” to mean the new world that the followers of this religion will bring about as they rise to power.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
5.    Mythrias had some incredible shows in 2015, I dare say some of our best and easily the best shows I have personally been a part of! The beginning of the year was a little rocky, we were still testing the waters with our new drummer at the time, Matt. Come May, we opened for Septic Flesh and Moonspell at the Agora Theater in Cleveland and it was absolutely exhilarating! In September we opened for Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum at the Agora Ballroom and had our EP release show at Annabell’s in Akron. I think it’s safe to say the Insomnium show may have been our best we played, the crowd reaction was astounding and we sold almost half of all the merch we had! Haha! The EP release show was awesome as well, Annabell’s is a small venue, but that didn’t stop so many people from going nuts while we were playing. I absolutely loved it!

6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6.    Right now we only have one other show booked in March. I’m not sure if a full-blown tour is possible for us at the moment, but one of my goals for the band is to broaden our horizons for sure. Playing in Pennsylvania, Columbus, and even the Toledo and southern Michigan areas are goals for sure. I want to try to do at least one of those before the year is over. After that, who knows?

7.On the ep you had done a cover of The Offspring's  "The  Kids  Aren't Alright', what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?
7.    We talk about doing a lot of covers among the band, usually with mixed reactions between the members. I actually don’t even remember who first brought up the idea of doing The Kids Aren’t Alright. Someone sort of reminded me about it at one of our practices and played the song on youtube. The rest of the guys were up for it and I was too. I went to work trying to see how I could ‘Mythrize’ the song so to speak (please pardon the terrible pun.) After I had a sort of working arrangement and showed it to the guys, everyone was completely on board and it just went seamlessly. It’s an extremely fun song and it seems to get a lot of positive reaction from crowds and reviewers alike.

8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
8.    For the most part, we are not desperately looking for a label. If something comes up that is very much in our favor, then we might jump on board. But for the most part, we are not actively pursuing anything. We were approached by a label based in our area with a deal that wasn’t terrible last year, but we figured that it’d be better for us to do those tasks by ourselves for the time being.

9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
9.     For the most part the only one of us in another band is Matt. He plays drums in Fully Consumed and has since the band’s inception in 2003. They released their second full length last year called Incendium and have done fairly well with it. I personally think it’s a great album! I don’t have him with me at the moment, so I’m not sure what their plans are for the future.

10.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
10.    A goal of mine for the band is to at least start working on a full length this year. I’d love to have one out by the end of the year, but I’m not sure if we’re ready. In my perfect world, we’d have one out early 2017. I have some potential ideas for songs that might be on a full-length. Musically, I’d like to “broaden our extremes” so to speak. Our heavy, evil-sounding stuff gets heavier and eviler and our melodic, epic stuff gets more so. I’d love to introduce some atmospheric elements and clean passages in some of the new stuff as well.
11.What are some of your non musical interests
.    Non-musical stuff for me is fairly boring. Haha! Lately I’ve been playing video games for the first time in probably a couple years. I have a passion for microbrews, wine, and mead as well. I watch some TV shows like Game of Thrones and Vikings to name a couple. I’ll indulge in some anime from time to time too. I just finished one yesterday called Steins;gate and if you are a fan of that stuff, I highly recommend it! I know I probably went down a few notches on the ‘kvlt’ meter with that one. Haha! Between work and band stuff there’s little room for much else really.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12.    Thanks so much for having me on! Really great questions! Be sure to check us out at Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mythrias/
Bandcamp: https://mythrias1.bandcamp.com/
and Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdugB9om_KkLrW5hNpRqudQ
Thanks again! \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment