Simon- Guitar/ Vocals
Questions are answered by Simon
1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
We are formed in 2013 in Autria, we play extreme metal, we have one album out and one in the queue for 2016.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Something in between melodic thrash/ death metal with some energetic prog and symphonic parts, but there are also a few classic rock and punk vibes going on. Especially in our upcoming record, For The Harvest, we are using a lot of diminished and chromatic tone scales, which gives a really dark and strange feeling to the music.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Life in general. I mean, I am that "for risks and side-effects do not ask politicians nor bankers" kind of guy, and then there are things like break ups, with girls or work and whatever as well as the loss of friends and family members, so all negativity that confronts me in life is the main topic for the lyrics. Sometimes it is a joke though.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'In Somnia?
We like the irony that one space changes the meaning to the opposite. In somnia means something like "in dreams" while insomnia is sleeplessness. We use a lot of irony and sarcasm in our lyrics too so that's why we figured out that this name would fit perfect.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
One of the best shows we did was even one of the smallest so far, there even wasn’t a real public address system. It was a small rock bar in Salzburg and there were maybe 50 guys in there. But at the end of the day, the whole bar was jumping and getting wild to our music.
6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
Not really at the moment, I mean we are in discussion of several gigs in central Europe, but there is nothing fixed by now.
7. Currently the band is signed to 7hard Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
It is a small independent label from Germany. They signed us for our first record “Withered Frozen Perished” and brought that one out. Our second record, which is going to be called “For The Harvest” is still unsigned, but 7us has the option for a 2nd CD contract wise, so we will see. I think we will release it on our own, if they are not interested in it.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of extreme metal?
We got a really great feedback most of the time, especially from Eastern Europe countries. But the reaction from Germany and Switzerland is also ok and from Asia, there was no reaction so far.
9. What can your fans expect musically once the new album is released?
We created a new style of metal these times I guess. It sounds a little bit like fast gothic rock to my ears, so like I said before, a lot of diminished and chromatic tone scales and a few different types of music are mixed into a wired, 13 songs including album. There also will be some old western blues in metal style in it.
10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Everything. I'm sure, everything you hear, from movie themes to pop music, and if its only some nearly unrecognized background noise, will flow in the music that you are doing. This is not a concious decision, it is more like a, "you write what you like and you like what you know" kind of thing.
11. What are some of your non musical interests?
Mattias likes to draw and drive his skateboard. Tobi and Patrick are usually spending their free time in gym and Dominik crawls over the mountains as far as I know. I like fixed rope climbing in the summer and going out with friends.
12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Maybe in a few months, but thank you.
Thank you for having me.